The Humane Society of Weld County has temporarily suspended dog intakes from the public and dog adoptions effective Thursday, to contain an outbreak of strep zoo. The suspension could last for up to 14 days.
The humane society has had six confirmed cases of streptococcus equi subspecies zooepidemisu, also called strep zoo, since July, according to a news release, and officials are awaiting the results on two more samples. Five of the dogs confirmed to have the disease have died, said Elaine Hicks, executive director of the humane society, and one has been treated and is doing well.
The bacterium is typically found in horses, but can cause infections in other animals, including dogs and cats.Confer said it’s more prevalent in agricultural areas, and was brought in from outside the shelter.
The infection begins with respiratory symptoms and ends with sudden death, often within 24 hours of the first symptoms’ appearance. Strep zoo can also cause severe illness in humans.
“It’s a very aggressive disease,” he said.
Read the full story on greeleytribune.com.
Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.