To mark the fourth anniversary of the death of Corporal Nathan Cirillo, after a gunman went on a rampage in downtown Ottawa, the Prime Minister released a statement to mark the sentry’s sacrifice.
Justin Trudeau also used the occasion to mark the death of Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who was killed two days earlier in a separate attack in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec.
“Our thoughts are with their families and friends, and all those affected by these attacks,” Trudeau said in his statement, which was released early Monday. “As we pay tribute to these fallen members of the Canadian Armed Forces, we also pay our respects to the brave first responders and members of our Parliamentary family who acted without hesitation to keep us safe.
As Canadians, we will not surrender to hatred, and let attacks like these divide us. In the face of cowardly violence and fear mongering, we will not compromise our most cherished values – freedom, democracy, diversity, and inclusion.”
Trudeau also called on Canadians from coast to coast to show “gratitude” to our men and women in uniform who put their lives on the line daily to protect the values that Canada holds most dear.
“Today, I encourage everyone to show gratitude to the valiant Canadians in uniform, past and present. Their dedication and service protect and defend everything that Canada stands for,” he said.
Cirillo, a 24-year old reservist from Hamilton, was gunned down while serving as an honour guard at the National War Memorial on Oct. 22, 2014. The man who shot him then stormed Parliament Hill, where he was killed by then Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers and officers with the RCMP.
It was the second attack on a Canadian soldier that week. Days earlier, Vincent had been purposely rammed by a vehicle as he left a veteran service centre in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que.
Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.