RCMP say first explosion in Sherwood Park parkade was ‘deliberately’ set; Multiple firearms seized from vehicle

The explosion that rocked a community centre parkade in Sherwood Park earlier this week originated underneath a half ton truck and damaged nine cars parked in the same row, causing a second vehicle’s gas tank to explode two stalls away, police confirmed Saturday.

Speaking to media at the Sherwood Park detachment on Saturday morning, RCMP Supt. Dave Kalist confirmed, for the first time, that “more than five” registered firearms — including hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns — were discovered in a vehicle belonging to Kane Kosolowsky, the deceased suspect.

They also confirmed Kosolowsky died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police have not determined the material used to cause the first explosion, which they say Kosolowsky set purposefully, or how it was ignited. Nor have they found a motive, despite interviewing friends, family and coworkers and trawling through electronic devices found at the man’s home.

Kalist said forensic analysis of the debris could take weeks.

Kane Kosolowsky.

‘No specific motive’

Police have not determined any specific motives for the crime.

“At this time, we do not have any specific motive as to why Kosolowsky caused the explosion, or what his intentions were with the firearms in his possession.”

“While we may never know the true motives of Kane Kosolowsky, I would personally like to thank the family for their continued cooperation in what must be a devastating time.”

Kalist confirmed they are not seeking any additional suspects. They do not know whether Kosolowsky had a specific target.

Emergency responders believe they were initially dealing with a fire when they were called to the Strathcona County Community Centre after 6 p.m. Tuesday.

RCMP cruisers stage outside the Strathcona County Community Centre and county hall in Sherwood Park on Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018.

People were evacuated from other buildings in the city centre as RCMP with long guns scoured the area.

The next afternoon, RCMP confirmed they were dealing with what they believed was a deliberately set explosion.

They asked members of the public not to speculate about what happened, despite what some saw as unnecessary delays in the official response.

In a statement issued through the RCMP Friday, members of Kosolowsky’s family said they were shocked and devastated by what happened, and that the events were out of character.

‘Not to speculate’

They asked members of the public not to speculate about what happened, despite what some saw as unnecessary delays in the official response.

Kalist defended the RCMP’s communications timeline, saying that even as recently as Friday, they were dealing with an active crime scene and working to confirm there were no additional explosive devices.

“We simply did not want to put out information we could not confirm. We were not able to even go into the investigative forensic examination phase until yesterday afternoon,” he said Saturday.

More to come.


Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.