Palace: Zero casualty so far

Disaster control officials reported no casualties so far as Typhoon Ompong (international name: Mangkhut) continued to pummel Northern Luzon.

“We confirm that as of this time, wala pa pong reported na casualties (no casualties have been reported yet),” Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said during a news briefing at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council operations center on Saturday.

The typhooon affected more than 13,000 families, according to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

Acting Social Welfare Secretary Virginia Orogo said 13,413 families took shelter in 724 evacuation centers scattered across Regions 1, 2, 3, and Cordillera Administrative Region.

Meanwhile, Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte stayed in Manila this weekend to closely monitor the typhoon.

“I’m not sure where he is exactly right now, but he is in Manila. He did not leave and is monitoring. But knowing him, he will be the first to go to the affected area as soon as the weather will allow his chopper to take off,” he added.

But Roque said the assessment on the ground is still ongoing that’s why they still don’t have the “complete picture” of the situation in areas affected by Ompong.

Catherine Valente

The post Palace: Zero casualty so far appeared first on The Manila Times Online.

***

Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.