Gennady Golovkin will fight again – but when and whom?

Promoter Tom Loeffler called to talk about the Dec. 8 card at StubHub Center featuring former world champion Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez and female pound-for-pound champion Cecilia Braekhus in co-features. But Loeffler also promotes former middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, so there was no way we weren’t going to talk about “Triple G.”

With HBO going out of the boxing business at the end of this year, we asked Loeffler if he had secured a new TV deal for Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs), who on Sept. 15 suffered his first loss, to Canelo Alvarez via majority decision at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. We also wanted to know about Golovkin’s next fight. Loeffler answered both inquiries in one thought.

“We haven’t finalized anything yet on his TV deal, so we’re still working out the best deal for him,” he said. “Then once that’s done, we’ll start targeting who he’ll fight for next year. He’s looking at either March, April or May of next year for his next fight.”

Any chance it will be a third fight against Alvarez? The two fought to a split draw Sept. 16, 2017, at T-Mobile.

“No,” Loeffler said. “My discussions with Golden Boy, it wouldn’t be in May. They want to do this fight in December.”

Alvarez will move up in weight and challenge Rocky Fielding for his super middleweight title Dec. 15 at Madison Square Garden in New York City (on DAZN).

“And then it looks like they want to fight someone else in May and then I think the earliest we’d be looking at a trilogy would be in September, either September or December (of 2019),” Loeffler said.

Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy, told yours truly not long ago that Alvarez does want to take on Golovkin for a third time.

That said, we asked Loeffler how Golovkin is dealing with his defeat to Alvarez. Loeffler couldn’t wait to reply.

“Well, he’s handling it fine because he’s getting the support of the people,” he said. “I think the overwhelming majority feel that either he won the fight or it was a draw.”

Loeffler used an interesting analogy to describe how Golovkin is looking at things.

“I think there’s a bigger backlash this time – or outrage – from the fans than the first time because even though most people felt he won the first fight more clearly than the second fight, this is where his titles changed hands and that’s where the fans and a lot of media felt that he was wronged,” Loeffler said.

The split draw in 2017 meant Golovkin got to keep his championship belts. He lost them in the second fight.

Loeffler bemoaned the scoring of the 12th round. Judges Dave Moretti and Steve Weisfeld scored the bout 115-113 for Alvarez, with both scoring the 12th for Alvarez. Loeffler thought it was a Golovkin round.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

He said if one of them had scored the round for Golovkin, the bout would have been scored a majority draw because the third judge, Glenn Feldman, had it 114-114 and Golovkin would have kept his titles.

That’s all water under the bridge now. Besides, Loeffler said Golovkin is still holding his head high.

“Now he’s gotten more support and more positive encouragement from the fans than I’ve ever seen,” Loeffler said. “So right now we consider him the people’s champion. And even without an official title, he’s still bigger than all the other champions except for Canelo.”

StubHub card

The aforementioned Dec. 8 event at StubHub figures to be the closing act to HBO’s 45-year run in boxing, as the network announced earlier this year it would cease to televise the sweet science for the foreseeable future.

Gonzalez (47-2, 39 KOs), a former four-division world champion from Nicaragua, will take on Pedro Guevara (32-3-1, 19 KOs) of Mexico in a 10-round super flyweight bout. And Braekhus (34-0, 9 KOs) will put her four welterweight world titles on the line against Aleksandra Magdziak-Lopes (18-4-3, 1 KO) of Poland. The Norwegian champ and Kali Reis made history when they became the first women to fight on HBO on May 5 at StubHub.

Gonzalez lost back-to-back fights to Srisaket Sor Rungvisai in 2017, the second fight ending with Gonzalez being viciously knocked out in the fourth round at StubHub.

At that point, it appeared Gonzalez might be on his way out. He had 48 pro fights and even though he was only 30 – he’s 31 now – smaller fighters typically retire earlier than bigger ones because there are more punches thrown and absorbed in the lighter weights.

But Gonzalez returned a year later and stopped Moises Fuentes in the fifth round underneath Golovkin-Alvarez II. Loeffler believes Gonzalez might have more left to give and that he could end up back in the title hunt with a solid showing against Guevara.

“Obviously, I think the way he looked against Moises Fuentes was very impressive, even though Fuentes wasn’t a world champion,” Loeffler said. “The way he was able to knock him out, he still has that one-punch knockout power. … At the same time, the way he boxed him, he had that signature ‘Chocolatito’ work-rate and just outworking his opponent.

“I think this fight with Pedro Guevara is going to answer a lot of those questions.”

***

Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.