Father of abducted B.C. boy says family wasn’t told offender had been released

<p>The father of a boy who was abducted from a home in southeastern British Columbia says his family wasn’t notified about the release of the high-risk offender.</p>

<p>Randall Hopley, who is 53, has served his six-year sentence for breaking into a home in Sparwood and abducting the sleeping three-year-old in 2011.</p>

<p>He returned the boy four days later physically unharmed.</p>

<p>The boy’s father, who lives in northern Alberta, told CTV Calgary that his family was shocked and upset to learn about Hopley’s freedom.</p>

<p>He said he is anxious about the man’s release but that his son, who is now 10 and in Grade 5, is doing well.</p>

<p>Vancouver police have issued a public warning about Hopley moving into the city because they say he still poses a risk of significant harm to young boys.</p>

<p>A National Parole Board decision released to The Canadian Press on Thursday said Hopley continues to be assessed as a high risk for sexual offending against children.</p>

<p>It said Hopley is bound by a 10-year supervision order in an effort to manage his risks and his conditions, including not being in the presence of any child under 16 and abiding by a curfew.</p>

<p>Vancouver police said Hopley will be living in a residential correctional facility but wouldn’t reveal the location.</p>

<p>Hopley was also designated a long-term offender after various courts heard that he sexually assaulted young children while living in a foster home as a teen.</p>

***

Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.