Winter (officially) is almost here and the hectic holiday season is upon us.
Time for a big bowl of delicious soup … nothing can sooth better.
Contrary to what many think, soup-making can be relatively easy and quick.
Today’s recipe is a good example. It’s an Asian-inspired main-course soup that draws on a number of fairly common ingredients.
The chicken stock gets some added flavour from garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.
This is one of those recipes where it’s fine to use store-bought broths.
There’s a huge range of choices when it comes to the noodle for this soup.
There are fresh and dried, wheat and rice to name just a few. So pick your favourite.
This soup can include pan-seared firm tofu, or pre-fried tofu pieces that can be purchased at Asian markets.
For the greens, you can opt for baby bok choy or even spinach and a halved hard boiled egg on top, for protein and it’s one filling and oh so satisfying big bowl of soup.
Be sure to experiment and make it your own.
Check out your fridge for leftovers that would be ideal to use such as cooked chicken or pork.
Experiment with the greens.
Drop in some carrots or broccoli if you feel like it.
Have some fun creating a big bowl of noodle soup and most important sit down, slow down and savour.
ASIAN NOODLE BOWL
5 cups (1.25 L) of chicken stock
1 large clove garlic cut in half
1-inch piece of ginger sliced
1 tbsp. (15 ml) soy sauce
1 tsp. (5 ml) sesame oil
1/2 tsp. (2 ml) Asian chili paste or sauce
8 oz. (250 g) fresh Asian wheat noodles (or noodle of your choice)
8 baby bok choy, cut in half
8 pieces of fried tofu
4 hard-boiled eggs, cut in half
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Place the chicken stock, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili paste in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to simmer then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. While the stock is simmering, cook the noodles according to packet directions. Drain. Divide between 4 warmed, big soup bowls.
3. Add the bok choy to the broth and cook until just tender (about 1 minute).
4. Scoop bok choy out of broth with a slotted spoon and place over top of noodles followed by tofu.
5. Ladle broth over top of all. Place two egg halves on top and garnish with green onion. Serve immediately.
Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.