Family mourns death of latest Edmonton police shooting victim

Family and friends of a man shot and killed by Edmonton police Wednesday night outside a Gold Bar apartment have been left reeling from his sudden death.

Devlin Neyando, 26, died outside the apartment near 47 Street and 101A Avenue just after 9 p.m. following what police described as a confrontation with officers.

Neyando had been wanted by police on five charges including assault and unlawful confinement of a woman stemming from events earlier in the day.

Police originally responded to the two-storey apartment in east Edmonton around 2:30 p.m. after reports that a 28-year-old woman had been assaulted and confined over the course of several days.

When officers arrived, they found an injured woman and immediately sought Neyando on charges of two counts of assault causing bodily harm, intimidation, uttering threats as well as unlawful confinement.

Officers left the apartment but returned that same evening when Neyando came back, which is when the confrontation happened that led to his shooting.

Police administered first aid until EMS arrived but he died at the scene.

The woman and the man were known to each other, police said.

Court documents show that Neyando was due to appear in provincial court later this month on two counts of assault with a weapon, assault and failure to comply with undertaking.

An autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

On social media his mother, Donna Neyando, thanked her friends and family for the outpouring of support.

“Today was a trying day but with God’s unconditional love we were able to share comfort, love and strength,” she wrote.

“Continue to spread love, laughter and encouragements.”

Neyando’s death was the second fatal police-involved shooting in Edmonton in just over a week.

On Boxing Day, officers fatally shot a man near 71 Street and 79 Avenue in the King Edward Park neighbourhood after he allegedly shot a gun at police during a “high-risk arrest” that was part of a surveillance operation.

Buck Evans was wanted on outstanding warrants and was considered “armed and dangerous” at the time of his arrest, ASIRT said.

ASIRT is investigating both shootings.


Note from WSOE.Org : This content has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed.